Dr. H. Maheshwari was born in March 1921 in U.P. He did his post-graduate studies in Philosophy a the Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi and distinguished himself by being 'first class first' in 1945. He obtained his Doctorate from Agra University, Agra in 1958.
From 1946 to 1965 he served as professor of Philosophy and the Head of the Department in Degree Colleges in U.P. In 1965, he joined the institute of Oriental Philosophy, Vrindaban, as its first principal.
In 1971, he joined Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Pondicherry. He was a professor of Philosophy in Sri Aurobindo International Centre of Education.
He was invited as the first chairperson of Sri Aurobindo Chair of Integral Studies, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar, Gujarat, from 1995 to 1997.
As a seeker, devotee and disciple of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother he served Them with integrity of knowledge, devotion and dynamic action throughout his life. In May 2002, he took his eternal abode in his Master's Consciousness.